At the end, did MTL have a sense of vindication
04-26-2015, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2015 10:00 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
RE: At the end, did MTL have a sense of vindication
Yes, Eva I agree. I always thought it odd that there is no published reference that MTL makes to her husband's killer by name, or even the conspirators. The closest she came was when she wrote to Francis Bicknell Carpenter on Nov15 1865, exactly seven months to the day of Lincoln's death:

"....I firmly believe, that if he had remained at the W.H. on that night of darkness when the fiends prevailed, he would have been horribly cut to pieces-Those fiends, had too long contemplated this inhuman murder to have allowed him to escape[/i]." MTL Letters, Anthology pg# 285

She seems to have believed he would have met Seward's fate even if he'd stayed home that night.Sad

In any case, MTL's silence on the subject of her husband's assassin isn't really unique. JFK's widow dismissed Oswald as "that silly little Communist" and during the trial of Sirhan Sirhan who assassinated RFK, his widow Ethel forbade anyone to mention his name or the trial in her presence. "Anyone who does is not a friend" is what she is said to have remarked. (The Kennedys: An American Drama, Peter Collier& David Horowitz)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: At the end, did MTL have a sense of vindication - LincolnToddFan - 04-26-2015 09:54 PM