Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
02-28-2015, 06:16 AM
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
(02-27-2015 10:57 PM)Thomas Thorne Wrote:  There is a persistent story that Weichmann was quite smitten with Anna,a feeling she did not reciprocate.

Bettie Trindal writes that Weichmann had purchased the picture called Morning, Noon, and Night, and he gave it to Anna as a gift. The author writes that Weichmann expected a kiss but received a slap instead. At this point tears welled up in Weichmann's eyes, and he quickly left the parlor. Trindal includes a footnote for the story which says, "It is a basically accepted story among researchers that Lou Weichmann did, in fact, try to kiss Anna Surratt. To partially substantiate the claim, there exists a letter in the National Archives (W409JAO1865), written to Weichmann in February 1865, from Mrs. Clara Ritter of New York City. In her letter she wrote: "I hope you will bring dear Miss S----tt with you to call on me. I could love her for your sake, & they are all favorably disposed towards you I believe." Ref: Louis J. Weichmann, op. cit., p 471, endnote 9."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination? - RJNorton - 02-28-2015 06:16 AM