Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
02-27-2015, 09:16 PM
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
(02-26-2015 11:58 PM)Pamela Wrote:  
(02-26-2015 03:59 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hi Pam. I think Richards gave several accounts, but the one I was citing regarding the boy in the alley was printed in the April 17, 1885, Washington Critic.

Does anyone know why Richards did not testify at the conspiracy trial? I would think if the Superintendent of the Metropolitan Police had been at the boardinghouse immediately after the assassination (and talked to Mary Surratt) he would have been called.

McDevitt testified.

IMO, I would think that if Richards were telling Weichmann the truth in his letters then he would have been called.
I read that Richards practically got a fatwah on his head from Stanton who was furious that Richards sent Weichmann and Holahan to Canada. I believe Stanton ordered Richards to go after them and put a price on their heads, but Weichmann returned, unaware of the commotion, and was released from custody, spent the night at a nearby boarding house, ate breakfast next to Grant's son the next morning, and took a stroll where he was spotted by Burnett, who had also been chewed out. Burnett asked him into his office and told him that Stanton wanted to see him. Before Weichmann went in, Burnett went into Stanton's office to resign. Stanton apologized and Burnett withdrew his request. Weichmann then had his one and only meeting with Stanton.

I guess Richards thought it best to keep a low profile after that so he would keep his job. Have you read Richard's letters to Weichmann? He seemed sincere to me. Can you tell me where I can read the 1885 interview? --I just found it.
He was an impressive guy.http://mpdc.dc.gov/biography/ac-richards

I'll lay you dimes to donuts that that brief bio came from Gary Planck's little booklet on A.C. Richards that I supplied to the then-historian for the Metropolitan Police Force about 8-9 years ago! At that time, he told me he had no information on A.C. Richards. Too bad a citation (not a ticket) wasn't given to Gary's research.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination? - L Verge - 02-27-2015 09:16 PM