Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
02-23-2015, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2015 02:22 PM by Susan Higginbotham.)
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
Weichmann specifically stated that he did not know who the caller was. From the Poore transcript:

Q. At what time did you reach here?
A. We reached here at about half-past eight or nine o’clock.
Q. When did you hear, or did you hear, of the assassination of the President, and the attack on Secretary Seward, that evening?
A. I heard of the assassination of President Lincoln and the at-tack on Secretary Seward at three o’clock on Saturday morning, when the detectives came to the house and informed us of it.
Q. And not until that?
A. Not until that time.
Q. Who came to the house between the period of your return and three o’clock on Saturday morning when the detectives came? Anybody?
A. There was some one that rang the bell; but who the person was I do not know.
Q. Was the bell answered?
A. Yes, sir.
Q. By whom?
A. It was answered by Mrs. Surratt.
Q. Was there any one at the door?
A. Yes, sir: I heard steps going into the parlor, and immediately going out, going down the steps.
Q. How long was that after you had got back from Surrattsville?
A. It must have been about ten minutes. I was taking supper at the time.
Q. That was before ten o’clock, was it not?
A. Yes, sir: it was before ten o’clock.

I agree that the witnesses in general were expected to answer the question put to them and nothing more, but Weichmann was a fairly chatty witness who did on occasion go beyond the scope of what he was asked:

Q. The third time you saw him was at the theatre?
A. Yes, sir: I saw him at the theatre. I also saw him once, in July, at a church in the country, the Piscataway Church. He had been to church there; and, when he came out, he got on his horse, and rode off.

Q. And then where did you go?
A. Then we left the National Hotel, and went to the Pennsylvania House, where Dr. Mudd had rooms. We all went into the sitting-room; and Dr. Mudd came and sat down with me, and we talked about the war. He expressed an opinion that the war would soon come to an end, and spoke like a Union man. Booth was speaking to Surratt. Booth then bade us good-night, and went out; and then Surratt and I bade Dr. Mudd good-night, and he remained there, and left the next morning.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination? - Susan Higginbotham - 02-23-2015 02:18 PM