Were Lincoln and Ward Hill Lamon law "partners?"
08-27-2012, 08:08 AM
RE: Were Lincoln and Ward Hill Lamon law "partners?"
I have a copy of a newspaper advertisement from the Danville Citizen newspaper of 1852. It says that "Abram Lincoln from Springfield and Ward Hill Lamon of Danville -- Lincoln and Lamon, Attorneys At Law, having formed a co-partnership with practice in the Courts of the Eighth Judicial Circuit and the Supreme Court and all business trusted to them will be attended to with promptness and fidelity. Office on the second floor of the Barnum Building over Whitcomb's store. Danville, November 10, 1852"

I have also seen copies of 114 cases defended by the law firm from 1852-1856 with the names of both Lamon and Lincoln on each one. The partnership was dissolved in 1856 when Lamon was elected prosecutor for Vermilion County.

I am an author who grew up in Dixon, Illinois and now live in West Virginia. One of my specialties is Ward Hill Lamon who grew up within a few miles of where I now live. I blog as Lamon, give historical first person impressions of him, have written a historical novel about him, and have edited the only book he ever wrote, published for the first time in 2010, "The Life of Abraham Lincoln As President."

Thanks for listening. Bob O'Connor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Were Lincoln and Ward Hill Lamon law "partners?" - Boboconnor - 08-27-2012 08:08 AM