Were Lincoln and Ward Hill Lamon law "partners?"
08-21-2012, 08:26 PM
RE: Were Lincoln and Ward Hill Lamon law "partners?"
Regarding whether Lamon was a Lincoln law partner, as I recall Lincoln worked enough with assorted lawyers in county seats that these associates sometimes called themselves his partner and even advertised themselves as such. But that would have been a relationship on the circuit, and not handling the swath of cases that came to the Lincoln & Herndon firm. Such as, for example, corporation finance disputes in federal court handled by Lincoln & Herndon. The "circuit partners" had no involvement in that sort of thing.

On side topics: Lamon's ghostwriter Black hated Lincoln. When I read Lamon's biography of Lincoln I noticed a tone of meanness but didn't see all that many outright errors. Indeed, Herndon (who despite his foibles respected truth) liked the book. For the pre-presidential years, however, Lamon is outdated, of interest as a historical curiosity. The presidential years aren't my field, so I can't offer an evaluation of the book's treatment of White House years.

Sandburg's account of Abe Lincoln standing up Mary Todd at the wedding sounds much like Herndon's. I suspect that is where Sandburg got it. I don't think Herndon fabricated the story, but we know that the story is mistaken. If anything like that had happened, political opponents would have given it wide publicity.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Were Lincoln and Ward Hill Lamon law "partners?" - Richard Lawrence Miller - 08-21-2012 08:26 PM