Was Lincoln’s coffin opened in February 1866 ?
02-18-2015, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2015 02:06 PM by STS Lincolnite.)
RE: Was Lincoln’s coffin opened in February 1866 ?
I seem to vaguely remember an account stating that a glass "window" was imbedded into one of Lincoln's coffins or another so that his face could be viewed. There may even have been a drawing of this. I will see if I can track down that account. I make no claim that the account was in any way accurate.

I think that the previous assessment (prior to Kees sinking his teeth into the question) that this article refers to the 1871 opening/viewing is most assuredly incorrect.

I find it most likely that this report is referring to to the December 1865 viewing. A couple thoughts/questions though. Who were the men present at the December 1865 viewing? Were the 3 men reported in the clipping in question reported to be present then? The answer may shed a little more light on the viewing question. If they weren't, I wouldn't put it above some politicians to find a way to "justify" another viewing just so that could fulfill a personal desire to get one more glimpse of Lincoln's face in death. If they were, I think the likelihood that this article refers to December 1865 viewing goes up - because I don't see why the same people would need to do a second "official" viewing to make sure it was Lincoln.

What was the weather like in winter of 1865? Could that account for extra slow news travel? There were obviously telegraph lines but if bad weather (ice/snow) was prevalent maybe they were downed? Maybe train and road travel would have been hindered? I don't know if those thoughts are reasonable. Just thinking "out loud".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was Lincoln’s coffin opened in February 1866 ? - STS Lincolnite - 02-18-2015 09:58 AM