The Loyalty Oath during the Civil War
01-25-2015, 03:53 PM
RE: The Loyalty Oath during the Civil War
(01-17-2015 06:24 PM)Anita Wrote:  Who had to sign the loyalty oath and how effective was it? Were background checks done? What were the consequences if one broke the oath?

I know government employees had to take the oath and some businesses. Then there were those crossing North/South boundaries. There are many notes signed by Lincoln "Let him/ her take the oath".

Mary Lincoln's half-sister Emilie refused to sign the oath in 1864. Why didn't actors such as Booth have to take the oath or those traveling to Canada?

Lastly, was there a legal issue?

I'd appreciate clarification as I find it quite confusing. Thanks.

I'm working on a new project that involves a Union soldier whose entire family were notables in the Confederacy. In late November, while still in DC awaiting a post, he was visited by a Pinkerton spy who was tasked with determining his loyalty. Though the soldier stayed in the Union his loyalty was questioned throughout the war. To my knowledge he was not requested to sign any kind of loyalty oath because he was already in the US army. The theme of loyalty, the penalties for disloyalty and family shame are front and center for me now. Glad to write more about this.
[/quote]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Loyalty Oath during the Civil War - Jane Singer - 01-25-2015 03:53 PM