The Loyalty Oath during the Civil War
01-18-2015, 11:56 AM
RE: The Loyalty Oath during the Civil War
(01-17-2015 07:35 PM)BettyO Wrote:  I have heard that to a Southerner, it was the worst possible thing to do. I've also heard that right after the war, one (southerners) had to sign the oath in order to draw rations for themselves and their children, if they had no other options for food; i.e. women whose husbands had not yet returned from the war or were dead. I also know that if a white man wanted to vote in the south directly after the war that he had to sign an oath. Lew Powell's father signed such an oath a year after the war. It has also been said that if a soldier signed the Oath, he was exempt from joining any Southern organization; i.e. Confederate Veteran organizations; etc. I do know that today, anyone whose ancestor "signed the oath" cannot join either the SCV or UDC....or so I've been told. Is this true?

The lovely and touching Roger's Statue "Taking the Oath and Drawing Rations" depicts a southern matron apparently reluctantly taking the oath so she can feed her child. The Union soldier appears to somewhat pity her.

According to the UDC site, "No Confederate ancestor who took the Oath of Allegiance before April 9, 1865, shall be eligible to be used for application for membership. If proof of further Confederate service is available, thereby nullifying the Oath of Allegiance, the ancestor shall be considered for approval."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Loyalty Oath during the Civil War - Susan Higginbotham - 01-18-2015 11:56 AM