His name was Notley Anderson - not Nodley
12-17-2014, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 07:58 AM by BettyO.)
RE: His name was Notley Anderson - not Nodley
Quote:In having to deal more closely with those issues, it generated a certain appreciation for unique groups and language migration/utilization. It is interesting to note that Appalachia, because of its isolation, probably is the closest to Old English in pronunciation of sounds. However, I prefer a certain tidewater variation that is just heaven on my ears.

Facinating, Jim!

I've been told that most Richmonders speak with a "Tidewater" Virginia accent. I was born and raised in Richmond and my dad was from Sevierville, Tennessee - so I speak with a conglomeration of both Tidewater and Appalachian . Someone once told me several years ago that the Tidewater accent was close to Old English. We still say things like "house" with the long emphasis on the "ho" or ho-se; (not "how-se") and use words which sound like "lie-berry" for Library; "chimley" for chimney...etc.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: His name was Notley Anderson - not Nodley - BettyO - 12-17-2014 07:57 AM