More on Stringfellow, and his exit from Washington.
11-30-2014, 02:15 AM
More on Stringfellow, and his exit from Washington.
We know that Stringfellow was sent to Washington under orders from President Davis. I did not find what his assignment was, but I did find a record of his activities during his stay in Washington in March 1865.
Stringfellow used his previous effective "cover" , as a dental student again, but this time not in Alexandria, but in Washington, D.C.
As he moved about gathering intelligence, a female detective became suspicious that he was a spy. To trap him she proposed a toast to Lincoln. Everyone present participated, except Stringfellow. When she questioned him, he proposed a toast to Davis. He left the hotel immediately, but was captured and taken to prison. Before they could identify him, he escaped and left Washington for Virginia. It took him twenty one days to reach safety. By then the war was over.
(That matches the time-frame that we studied earlier in this thread)
This report is based on "Stringfellow of the Fourth" by R. Shepard Brown.

From another source I read that Stringfellow was originally assigned to go to Canada to work with the Confederate Commissioners there, but his assignment was changed, and John Yates Beall was sent instead. John Yates Beall was hanged 24 Feb 1865.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
More on Stringfellow, and his exit from Washington. - SSlater - 11-30-2014 02:15 AM