Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore?
12-24-2014, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2014 07:50 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore?
(12-24-2014 11:56 AM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  
(12-24-2014 08:36 AM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  How did Mary feel about the Hankses? If she did not get along with them perhaps she did not want them there.
That's a great question, but I don't remember reading that Mary had any animosity toward the Hankses. The published compilation of her letters has one that she wrote to AL's stepmother Sarah Bush Lincoln a few weeks after the murder. It was an exquisite, compassionate letter to the woman she knew her late husband revered. It was an example of how Mary could be at her best.
I second this - I don't think Mary had any animosity toward the Hankses and haven't ever read this. (Didn't she mainly have animosities towards potential rivals of any kind? The Hankses sure weren't.)

And I, too, immediately thought of the affectionate letter Mary sent her mother-in-law (on Dec.19, 1867) along with some gifts:

My dear Madam:

In memory of the dearly beloved one, who always remembered you with so much affection, will you not do me the favor of accepting these few trifles?
God has been very merciful to you, in prolonging your life and I trust your health has also been preserved — In my great agony of mind I can not trust myself to write about, what so entirely fills my thoughts, my darling husband; knowing how well you loved him also, is a greatful satisfaction to me. Believe
me, dear madam, if I can ever be of any service to you, in any respect, I am entirely at your service . . I will be pleased to learn whether this package was received by you. Perhaps you know that our youngest boy is named for your husband, Thomas Lincoln, this child, the idol of his father — I am blessed in both my sons, they are very good and noble. The oldest is growing very much like his own dear father, I am a deeply afflicted woman, and hope you will pray for me.

I am, my dear Madam affectionately
yours
Mary Lincoln.

(12-24-2014 06:19 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hi Toia. I cannot remember the source, but I do recall reading somewhere that John Hanks was present for the Springfield funeral.
One source is p. 291 in "Blood on the Moon", stating that John Hanks came in Sarah Bush Lincoln's place, being A. L.'s favorite cousin.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore? - Eva Elisabeth - 12-24-2014 07:47 PM