Robert Lincoln and the military
11-05-2014, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2014 07:29 AM by loetar44.)
RE: Robert Lincoln and the military
(11-05-2014 05:17 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Kees, "the next morning [after Lee's surrender]" was April 10, and "left...the next morning" seems to refer to leaving Appomattox, thus (10+4=14) Mr. Emerson's calculation seems accurate within itself, but, I agree, incongruent with Grant's memoirs! (I assume that's what you meant at all.) However, it would be great if Mr. Emerson (who's a member) could kindly shed some light on this....

Eva, you are right, but I calculated from the moment Grant took the decision to go to Washington to report to Lincoln. The surrender at McLean's House in Appomattox Court House was April 9 and the whole ceremony lasted ca. 1½ hour. Gen. Lee arrived at ca. 1 P.M. Shortly after the ceremony Grant decided to go to Washington and began his preparations. So, here, at this moment, his "4 day journey" to the capital started, on the 9th. So, I came with 9 + 4 = 13. And yes he left Appotommax Station in the morning of the 10th.

I agree with you and hope that Mr. Emerson will give some comments on this and tell us why he changed April 14 to April 13. Great find Linda!

(11-05-2014 05:54 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Fascinating discussion! IMO the evidence the Grants arrived on the 13th is solid; the time of Robert Lincoln's arrival less so. As I stated above there is a letter held by the Huntington Library from Robert Lincoln to Judd Stewart dated May 14, 1919, in which Robert himself apparently states he arrived on the morning of the 14th. Are letters like this online anywhere? Is there a way to read this letter? Although written many, many years after the fact, I would still tend to think Robert would have a pretty clear memory of that time frame due to the tragedy that occurred at Ford's.

Eva, Jason Emerson (in his Robert bio) gives only a footnote to Julia Grant's description of the arrival, not a footnote to the date itself (#50). Regarding #49 the footnote points to Ulysses S. Grant's memoirs.

The New York Times of April 13, 1865 says that “The General was accompanied by the following members of his staff: Brevet Major-Gen. John A. Rawlins, Brig.-Gens. Dent. Ingalls and Williams. Cols. Babcock and Potter, Lieut.-Col. Parker, Major Leet, Capt. Boudinot and Lieut Dunn. The other members of the party were Assistant-Secretary Dana, Major-Gen. Meigs, Col. Hillyer, of New-York, and Cols. Pride and Barnard, of St. Louis.” No mention of Capt. Robert Lincoln. Because he was not a high ranking officer? He was still the President’s son! Mr. Emerson said in his book that Robert arrived with Grant (“Robert was included in the heroes’ welcome given for Grant and his retinue …”, p. 98/99).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Robert Lincoln and the military - loetar44 - 11-02-2014, 02:33 PM
RE: Robert Lincoln and the military - loetar44 - 11-05-2014 07:03 AM