John Wilkes Booth marker stolen?
12-02-2014, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2014 08:00 PM by L Verge.)
RE: John Wilkes Booth marker stolen?
What was amazing to me is the feat that it took to dislodge that sign and carry it away. Years ago, in someone's infinite wisdom, the sign was removed from the easily accessible median strip (just feet from what would have been the porch of the Garrett home) and moved to the opposite side of the highway -- and dangerously close to the right-hand lane, with no pull-off space.

That meant that whoever did the dastardly deed of stealing the sign was/were putting themselves in danger. Furthermore, I have first-hand knowledge of how heavy those signs are. It took a lot of WD40 or a blow torch to get it loose from the pole and at least 2-3 strong men to do the dirty work.

Too bad that some people cannot channel their skills into more productive lines of work. But, why bother when you know you are unlikely to get caught and that your next meal is coming via food stamps... I keep remembering the email from the man who reported the problem to me: "I'm just a truck driver, but I love history." Then we have those who don't want to work for a living and are ready to destroy our history.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: John Wilkes Booth marker stolen? - L Verge - 12-02-2014 07:58 PM