"The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism
10-28-2014, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2014 05:12 PM by Linda Anderson.)
RE: "The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism
I agree with Rich that you have asked a great question, Eva. I was wondering how the Civil War was (is) taught in the South and what is being taught nowadays.

I can't answer your question because I can't separate what I learned in school many years ago from what I learned from other sources such as Gone With the Wind and the movies. However, I don't remember learning anything about economic reasons for the war and I certainly didn't know that blacks were slaveholders. I first learned about that from reading The Known World.

I also didn't know the average slave owner owned 5 slaves.

There's a Richard H. Garrett from Caroline County, Virginia who is listed in the 1860 U. S. Federal Census Slave Schedule as owning 20 slaves. Does anyone know if that is the same Richard H. Garrett of Locust Hill where Booth was killed?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism - Linda Anderson - 10-28-2014 04:41 PM