"The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism
10-28-2014, 11:32 AM
RE: "The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism
I'm afraid that I have to agree with Rich as far as my early schooling on the subject of slavery. I don't even remember the word being used in elementary school in my day (1950s). My eighth grade social studies teacher did touch briefly on the issue, but more time was spent on the Civil War itself. As for my 11th grade history class, it was a total waste! As was fairly common in those days, history classes were often taught by physical education teachers who had a spare period. I'm not sure that my teacher even knew that there had been slavery and a Civil War.

Maybe in slight defense of my teachers, I will say that, being from below the Mason-Dixon Line could be a little uncomfortable in the 1950s and 60s with the civil rights movement getting into full swing. I began teaching in the mid-60s when Maryland was desegregating its schools. When that federal judge in Baltimore decreed that busing would be the solution for everyone, everyone got up in arms (black and white). I remember one young, black lady asking me the first day of school, "Are you prejudiced?" My answer was, "Yes, if you don't do your assignments, pass your tests, and participate positively in class, I'm going to give you a low grade."

I tell you that story to show that my early teaching experiences made me very wary of what a class discussion on slavery and the causes of the Civil War could turn out to be. One great benefit to me was that I began teaching in 1965, the end of the centennial observance of the War. I will say that our society paid a lot more attention to remembering the war at that time than they have this go-around with the 150th. We should be ashamed of ourselves that we have not paid more attention to a cataclysmic event that had such a profound effect on the future of the U.S.

Meanwhile, back at college, thankfully I had several professors who did go over the economic and political effects that slavery had on the entire country -- however, that was not until my junior and senior years, when I could actually get out from under "required" courses and start concentrating on my major.

As for what today's students are taught: reading. science, and math in order to pass the state assessment exams...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism - L Verge - 10-28-2014 11:32 AM