Last public speech Abraham Lincoln
10-01-2014, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 03:13 PM by loetar44.)
RE: Last public speech Abraham Lincoln
(10-01-2014 09:18 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 08:07 AM)loetar44 Wrote:  what time did Lincoln held his speech?

Kees, I checked Mary Lincoln's letters. I found this note that she wrote Charles Sumner the morning of April 11th. Charles Adolphe Pineton, Marquis de Chambrun, grandson of Lafayette, was visiting the United States, and Mary refers to him in her note to Sumner:

"My Dear Mr. Sumner:

Presuming, it would be agreeable for the Marquis, in visiting our Country, to witness every novelty that presents itself at this eventful time, I have invited him to call informally this evening, about 8 1/2 o'clock, as doubtless, a vast assemblage, will be gathered in front of this building, with music & anticipations, of a little speech from the President...."

Thus, it would appear to me that the speech was scheduled for about 8:30 P.M. or shortly thereafter.

Abraham Lincoln: Speeches and Writings (1859-1865) gives place, date and time of Lincoln’s speeches, but no time for his last speech on April 11, 1865

Abraham Lincoln’s Speeches Complete from his first speech to his last address only say about his last speech: “delivered on Tuesday evening, April 11, 1865”.

But thanks to Roger's finding, we can now say that the time the speech was delivered was at approximately 8:30 pm. The exact audio version of the speech lasts ca. 11 minutes. I think we can say that at approximately 9:00 / 9:15 pm all was over.

And what to think of this !?! This poster you can purchase for $59.99 and is entitled: “President Lincoln's Last Speech, Delivered to Crowds Outside the White House, April 13, 1865”. Lincoln addressing the people from the steps …. wrong. Date ….. wrong. The only thing that is consistent with reality is the fact that it is dark. Pure falsification of history !!! Only to make money ???

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Last public speech Abraham Lincoln - loetar44 - 10-01-2014 02:40 PM