Lincoln's Gamble: The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation
09-01-2014, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 08:36 PM by Linda Anderson.)
RE: Lincoln's Gamble:The Tumultuous Six Months that Gave America the Emancipation
(09-01-2014 05:29 PM)brewstt Wrote:  Was just made aware, Linda, of your post here about my new book which comes out next week. Hope you and others enjoy it. You can read about the book on my website, http://www.lincolnsgamble.com, and click through there to pre-order a copy.

Would love to get reactions from everyone as they read the book.

Welcome to the forum, Todd! I'm looking forward to reading your book.

We've been discussing Mary Lincoln's reaction to the EP in the thread "Our One Common Country" (under News and Announcements) and I found your book when I googled "Florence W. Stanley" reporter. The discussion starts at Post #60.

http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...age-4.html

What is your opinion on the validity of Mrs. Stanley's comments about Mrs. Lincoln?

Feb. 7, 1935

Dear Mr. Sturges:

Both of your etchings of Abraham Lincoln impressed me, but the one with the sadness removed called to thought an incident in Lincoln’s life.

It was my privilege to know from the time I was four years old Robert Todd Lincoln. Because of my great love for Abraham Lincoln he spoke very freely to me of homely incidents and when I wanted some material on Lincoln in the course of my studies he told me many things among which was the following:

“My mother was very much opposed to the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation and expressed her views at great length before retiring. My father never retired that night but paced his study—back and forth—stopping now and then to read a few favorite verses from the Bible or to gaze at the sky.

“In the morning my mother and I went to his study, my mother inquiring in her quick sharp way, ‘Well, what do you intend doing?’

“My father looked up, as to heaven, a great light illuming his face and for the moment removing the care-worn lines, replied, ‘I am a man under orders, I cannot do otherwise.’”

Mr. Robert Lincoln commented that there seemed to be a “presence” which silenced further comment from his mother or himself. That day Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation.

The above is from my notes taken as Mr. Robert Todd Lincoln spoke.

Very sincerely yours,
(Mrs.) Florence W. Stanley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread