William Slade
06-19-2014, 11:20 AM
William Slade
Sometimes it pays to review your old research! Long before I became interested in locating the graves of those associated with the assassination, I was finding the grave of anyone connected with the raid on Harpers Ferry. One of Brown's raiders, Osborn Perry Anderson had been buried in Columbian Harmony Cemetery in the capitol. Much like Elizabeth Keckly, his remains were moved to New Harmony Memorial Park. In looking at my file on Anderson, I had noted that William Slade (Lincoln's valet) was also at New Harmony. I had been looking, unsuccessfully for Mr. Slade's grave.

After President Lincoln's assassination “Slade had everything ready, including garments for clothing the body. The suit worn by Lincoln at his last inaugural was selected. As valet and steward, it was Slade’s duty and privilege to serve his employer to the last. After he had finished washing and dressing the remains and being present during the final trimming of the hair, he clipped off a lock for himself and family.” Slade’s wife Katherine, was given the dress Mary Todd Lincoln wore to the theater when President Lincoln was shot
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
William Slade - Rsmyth - 06-19-2014 11:20 AM
RE: William Slade - RJNorton - 06-19-2014, 01:19 PM