Help Needed
05-16-2014, 04:18 PM
RE: Help Needed
Thanks, Gene, that is indeed the same book only reprinted by another company 36 years later. I suspect the format may be somewhat different and even perhaps the text, however. This older book is definitely text from a documentary (albeit short and sweet), and I would not classify it as a true children's book.

Most are in pretty bad condition - including a first edition (1893) of William Winter's biography of Edwin Booth. It appears to have been wrapped in cut velvet at some point, which adhered to the cover (really did a number on the spine, and the front cover has a unique strip of the velvet intact). The first few pages are loose, but otherwise fairly good - especially the photos. I have actually contacted Tudor Hall, however, to see if they would like to have it gratis.

Another goody is the second edition of Nettie Mudd's book in which I found the newspaper clipping about the Ft. Jefferson Mudd plaque that I posted about yesterday. It is in good condition, but it felt like it needed a Mudd home. I offered it gratis to Bob Summers of this forum, and I think his sister, a great-granddaughter of Dr. Sam will be receiving it.

The most frustrating one is a limited edition (maybe first edition?) of Ferguson's I Saw Booth Shoot Lincoln. Badly stained, faded pages, and very unusual blank pages spread throughout. I can't bear to throw it in the recycle bin, so I guess I will give it a proper burial on my office bookcase for the moment. My carpenters are actually building me a new and sturdier bookcase because they are tired of seeing the sagging shelves on my KMart special...

Stay tuned, however, because we will soon be receiving a very generous supply of books on the Civil War in general with a few assassination ones, courtesy of the widow of one of our state politicians.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Help Needed - L Verge - 05-16-2014, 01:28 PM
RE: Help Needed - Gene C - 05-16-2014, 02:38 PM
RE: Help Needed - L Verge - 05-16-2014 04:18 PM