St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
04-23-2014, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2014 05:10 PM by wpbinzel.)
St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
In nearly everything that I have read about John Wilkes Booth’s escape route, there is a line that says “No one is certain which route Booth and Herold took from Surratt’s Tavern to Dr. Mudd’s farm.” Kieran McAuliffe’s seminal map (and the State of Maryland) has them going down modern-day Route 301 to Mattawoman Beantown Road to Poplar Hill Road, and past St. Peter’s Catholic Church. The Surratt Society tours go through T.B., down Brandywine Road, past the Horsehead Tavern, then south on Horsehead Road.

Has anyone done research on the late-1864 stage coach route(s) between Washington and Prince George’s and Charles Counties, and/or how closely the present day roads mirror the “roads” that existed in April 1865? The stage coach route may be the key to resolving the debate on whether Booth and Herold’s ride to Dr. Mudd’s took them past the Horsehead Tavern or St. Peter’s Church.

If it is true that Booth rode that stage on at least three occasions in late 1864 between Washington and Bryantown (and I believe it is), then it is highly likely that he was attentive to route traveled. I have not seen evidence that prior to those trips that Booth was otherwise familiar with the roads in Prince George’s or Charles Counties, Maryland.

As demonstrated by his familiarity with Namjemoy Creek and John Hughes, David Herold knew his way around western Charles County. However, the impromptu stop at the home of Oswell Swann and his engagement as a guide would indicate that Herold was not familiar with the northeastern portion of the county and that he may not have known the route from Surrattsville to Dr. Mudd’s.

It is speculation on my part, but it would seem likely that Booth took the route he learned from his rides on the stage coach. Area taverns served as stage coach stops. I have seen Surratt’s Tavern and the Bryantown Tavern cited as stage stops. While I would surmise that the Horsehead Tavern was also a stop in between Surrattsville and Bryantown, I have not seen written confirmation of it.

That’s why I am interested in whether someone has researched the stage coach route (or routes?). Whatever it was, I am inclined to believe that the stage coach route was the same route used by Booth and Herold.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer? - wpbinzel - 04-23-2014 11:06 AM