What the Seward Mansion Main Hall May Have Looked Like
04-16-2014, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 07:37 PM by L Verge.)
RE: What the Seward Mansion Main Hall May Have Looked Like
(04-16-2014 07:13 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  
(04-16-2014 06:18 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Linda,

I saw this photo before Betty reversed it for you, and the lay-out is identical to Poplar Hill on His Lordship's Kindness, a magnificent mansion not far from Surratt House. Poplar Hill dates to the 1780s, I believe. It is one of the few homes with a surviving family chapel in one wing. I doubt that Dumbarton, Poplar Hill, and The Old Club House had the same architect, but they could be triplets - at least on the first floor - and all within about 20 miles of each other.

Thanks, Laurie. Here's a link to Poplar Hill's front hall from the 1930s. They do look similar.

http://www.poplarhillonhlk.com/RachelCam...574pr.html

It's a shame that the photo of the main hallway is taken half-way down the hall at the foot of the stairs. There's about another 20 feet between the stairs and the front door.

This grand old home was open for tours until about five years ago when the stock market tanked. It was run by a family foundation that had put their eggs in the Wall Street basket.

(04-16-2014 07:35 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(04-16-2014 07:13 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  
(04-16-2014 06:18 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Linda,

I saw this photo before Betty reversed it for you, and the lay-out is identical to Poplar Hill on His Lordship's Kindness, a magnificent mansion not far from Surratt House. Poplar Hill dates to the 1780s, I believe. It is one of the few homes with a surviving family chapel in one wing. I doubt that Dumbarton, Poplar Hill, and The Old Club House had the same architect, but they could be triplets - at least on the first floor - and all within about 20 miles of each other.

Thanks, Laurie. Here's a link to Poplar Hill's front hall from the 1930s. They do look similar.

http://www.poplarhillonhlk.com/RachelCam...574pr.html

It's a shame that the photo of the main hallway is taken half-way down the hall at the foot of the stairs. There's about another 20 feet between the stairs and the front door.

This grand old home was open for tours until about five years ago when the stock market tanked. It was run by a family foundation that had put their eggs in the Wall Street basket.

I should have added that Poplar Hill on HLK was part of the large estate on which Mary Jenkins Surratt was born. That part is now Joint Base Andrews. Mary's father was overseer to the Calvert family who owned the property at that time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What the Seward Mansion Main Hall May Have Looked Like - L Verge - 04-16-2014 07:35 PM