Assassination Day- 149 year anniversary
04-14-2014, 07:59 PM
Assassination Day- 149 year anniversary
I've been thinking about how today is Lincoln's assassination day- 149 years ago tonight at 10:15! Yes, it certainly is a day to be thinking about JWB, Lewis Powell, Davey Herold, and George Atzerodt. I've been remembering what Booth, his conspirators, and Lincoln spent their time doing on this particular day in history. I started this morning at 7 a.m. when Lincoln awoke, all the way through until 2 p.m. when Booth stopped by Mary Surratt's DC boarding house on H street to deliver his field glasses wrapped in brown paper. Can't help thinking how nosy Louis Weichmann was throughout the conspiracy; Weichmann puzzles me quite a bit. Even though I realize American Brutus states that Weichmann would have been the last person Booth would have trusted in his inner circle, I still have my suspicion about him. Lately I keep asking myself, "If Edwin Stanton was involved in the plot, then could it have been Weichmann who brought him to Booth's conspiracy?" Could Weichmann have been the middle-man between Stanton and Booth? I'm not exactly certain if this has any possibility to it at all, but I understand Weichmann worked at the War Department.
Anyway, today got me to thinking about some questions I've had and have been unable to find the answers. Does anyone know: Why Bill O'Reilly's Killing Lincoln book claims Booth wore tan boots on this date? His boot on display at Ford's Theatre is black? Also wondering why O'Reilly would say Mr. Powell was "mentally impaired" from a mule kick to the head? As I understand, Powell was not kicked in the head, but in the jaw during his childhood. From what I read, Mr. Powell seemed to be clever and a rather good at fooling the authorities.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Assassination Day- 149 year anniversary - PaigeBooth - 04-14-2014 07:59 PM