Missing pages from Booth's diary?
03-26-2014, 12:29 PM
RE: Missing pages from Booth's diary?
Dave - I have to disagree that it is harmless. That may be their intent, but the fear that professionals have is that it encourages anyone and everyone to grab their metal detectors and shovels and head to any old spot they think might be filled with "nectar." Places like Surratt House grounds that are wide open during nighttime hours can become targets, for example.

They may have a professional archaeologist on staff, but the average hunters don't and just pocket their finds to display on a book shelf some place at home. I would be guilty of that also. My family had hundreds of arrowheads and shards that were turned up by tenants on one of the farms we owned. They were just thrown into shoe boxes - never taken to anyone for cataloguing, analyzing, and display.

I guess it's my age showing here, but I'm tired of serious matters being turned into something silly for people's entertainment instead of education. Reality shows are the pits, as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to see the bad side of people and families aired in public. The National Geographic Society has always been known for its educational value. To me, they are now stooping to the dumbing down of America.

IMO, there is a big difference between having a sense of humor about history and related subjects and just acting silly to the point where the average person gains nothing from the experience. End of sermon.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Missing pages from Booth's diary? - L Verge - 03-26-2014 12:29 PM