Most valuable missing assassination relic
05-02-2014, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 02:58 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Most valuable missing assassination relic
Quote:I believe I red somewhere that the government had burned some of the clothing that was from the war department as it had become moth infested.

I had read that as well, Jim. I hope it isn't so, but as Powell's suit was supposedly cashmere, there is a good chance that it was considered a delectable snack by moths.

However, his blood-stained linen shirt wouldn't have been moth eaten; nor his linen handkerchiefs or knit under drawers. Hopefully his beaver/felt slouch hat may have been spared. I'm thinking that his wallet must be somewhere along with the compass he had and the box of pistol cartridges.

I also wonder where those hair clippings must have gone when the boys had their hair cut in prison. Were these clippings swooped up as "souvenirs?" Or where they simply swept away? As avid as folk were to chip off pieces of the gallows or acquire pieces of the hanging rope, I could see these pieces of hair going the same route....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Most valuable missing assassination relic - Rhatkinson - 03-20-2014, 07:46 AM
RE: Most valuable missing assassination relic - Rhatkinson - 03-20-2014, 03:13 PM
RE: Most valuable missing assassination relic - BettyO - 05-02-2014 02:56 PM