Lincoln assassination postage stamp
02-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Lincoln assassination postage stamp
I read in the news today about how Steve Jobs will be on his own postage stamp in the next year or so. I ended up reading a bit about how stamps come to be and found that there is a committee that accepts ideas from the public for new stamps. I, of course, thought of the upcoming 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's assassination. So I typed up my proposal and I will be mailing it (with one of my Civil War anniversary stamps) out to the committee tomorrow. I just thought I'd share my letter:

"Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee
c/o Stamp Development
U.S. Postal Service
475 L’Enfant Plaza SW, Room 3300
Washington, DC 20260-3501

To the Committee:

It seems likely to me that this committee receives countless recommendations and ideas for postage stamps. No doubt the task of going through them all is quite a time consuming and daunting affair. Thank you for taking the time to review and consider my idea.

I would like to start off by saying that I believe, like most Americans, that Abraham Lincoln was our country’s greatest president. I thought the Postal Service did a wonderful job commemorating the 200th anniversary of Lincoln’s birth with the set of stamps that were released in 2009. In addition, I have also enjoyed the stamps commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. As we know, the Civil War was a dark and troubled time for our country. But, due to those years of bloodshed and strife, we fulfilled the promise of freedom for all. Abraham Lincoln was the visionary leader who overcame tremendous odds to keep this country together and ensure that freedom.

With this in mind, I would like to recommend that the committee consider the idea of creating a postage stamp to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s assassination. I feel it is a defining moment of American history. Though it was an immensely sorrowful event, it is also critical in establishing our understanding and appreciation of Abraham Lincoln. When Lincoln was assassinated on April 14, 1865 and died the next morning, the country lost its greatest president. However, the event, as dark as it was, also created an American saint. Lincoln’s death came right after he had achieved victory, just as he gave his “last, full measure” for our country. To me, Abraham Lincoln represents the last casualty of war and I believe that the American people need to be reminded of his sacrifice.

There are many images that I believe could be used to represent this moment in history:
• President Lincoln, Mary Todd, Major Rathbone and Miss Harris in the box at Ford’s Theatre the moments before John Wilkes Booth entered
• Ford’s Theatre draped in mourning ribbon on the day after the event
• The photograph of the empty, bloodstained bed from the Petersen House, on which Lincoln died
• The sole photograph of Lincoln in his casket as he lay in state in New York

I’m sure they are many more images that could appear on a U.S. postage stamp that would capture the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in a respectful and relevant way.

I feel that commemorating the 150th anniversary of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln with a U.S. Postage Stamp is a fitting tribute to our 16th president’s sacrifice and legacy. Per your own criteria, the assassination of Abraham Lincoln represents a significant event centered on a truly influential figure in American history. It is a memorial stamp to a president marking an anniversary of his death. Lastly, 2015 will be the 150th anniversary of his death, fitting the requirement that an event can be commemorated only on 50 year intervals.

Thank you for reading and considering my proposal. The Postal Service has already done a great job of using postage stamps to educate the American people of Lincoln’s greatest accomplishments. I truly feel that the American people would also benefit from a stamp that reminds them of Abraham Lincoln’s greatest, and final, sacrifice for his country.

Sincerely,

Dave Taylor"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Lincoln assassination postage stamp - Dave Taylor - 02-21-2014 07:31 PM