Lincoln and the theater, and theater in Lincoln's days
02-25-2014, 08:25 PM
RE: Lincoln and the theater, and theater in Lincoln's days
(01-24-2014 07:56 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Is there any information on the Lincolns attending theater events in Illinois before his presidency?

Sorry I didn't see, and answer, this query sooner, Laurie. The research that I did for American Presidents Attend the Theatre only turned up several generalized references (with no specific dates) to Lincoln's attending (and heartily enjoying) various minstrel shows in Illinois. The only specific references to theatre attendance in Illinois were:
July 8, 1857 – William Burton in The Toodles and The Wandering Minstrel at North’s National Theatre in Chicago with Henry Clay Whitney [Source: Browning Diary vol. I, 294]
July 13, 1857 - William Burton in Dombey and Son at North’s National Theatre in Chicago with Henry Clay Whitney [Source: Browning Diary vol. I, 294]
March 23, 1860 - Hooley and Campbell’s Minstrels at Metropolitan Hall in Chicago [Source: Whitney 73, Weik 85-86, Mearns 119] [Note: While Whitney remembers the performers as Rumsey & Newcomb’s Minstrels, contemporary Chicago newspapers identify the troupe as Hooley and Campbell’s.]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln and the theater, and theater in Lincoln's days - Tom Bogar - 02-25-2014 08:25 PM