Grave of James Rutledge, father of Ann
01-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Grave of James Rutledge, father of Ann
Last October members from this Symposium gathered in Springfield to tour the Lincoln sites in and around that city. One of the places visited was Old Concord Cemetery, the real burial site of Ann Rutledge. In that cemetery are many of the people who befriended Lincoln and helped to shape his character.

On many previous visits to the cemetery there was no marker for Ann's father, James Rutledge. In fact, chroniclers of the burials there were uncertain as to where his grave might be located. He died only months after his daughter Ann. I have checked the records of burials for Old Concord and James's grave is not listed as one of the known ones, although he is listed as having been buried there.

In 1890 when McGrady Rutledge was helping Montgomery located Ann's grave so that he could disinter her remains and relocate them to a new cemetery located in nearby Petersburg, the grave of Ann's brother David was used as a reference point since his grave marker was there (it still is). No mention was made of Ann's father being buried next to her, although it is a distinct possibility since he died so soon after she did.

I have been in contact with one of the chronicler's of the graves and she does not know who placed the new marker indicating James Rutledge's grave or when it was placed there. It was not there when I visited Old Concord on two separate occasions in 2012. I am in contact with others in Menard County who might help me. I will let you know what I learn.

[Image: rutledgegrave.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Grave of James Rutledge, father of Ann - Joe Di Cola - 01-03-2014 02:22 PM