Political caucus right after assassination
12-18-2013, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 07:18 PM by Rob Wick.)
RE: Political caucus right after assassination
I would recommend Annette Gordon-Reed's small biography of Johnson as a good place to start. Also, the late Hans L. Trefousse has done a great deal of work on the Radicals and Johnson.

However, I also have to say there's a reason Johnson is ranked as low as he is. He was a horrible president, especially for what the country needed after the war. Paul Bergeron has written a book attempting to rehabilitate Johnson called Andrew Johnson's Civil War and Reconstruction which I reviewed for the Fall 2012 edition of the Lincoln Herald. One of the problems that a president faces, especially when he succeeds a martyr, is the constant comparison to his predecessor. It isn't fair, but it's reality. What the country needed after the war, and Lincoln's murder, was someone who could unite the country instead of seeing every act of Congress as a personal slight, which Johnson did. Add to that Johnson's inept handling of Reconstruction and you get someone that's very hard to defend.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Political caucus right after assassination - Rob Wick - 12-18-2013 07:15 PM