Headley, and the picture of Sarah
04-11-2016, 12:43 AM
RE: Headley, and the picture of Sarah
(04-10-2016 05:12 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Other than Headley, any supporting evidence that this photo is Sarah?

John, you mentioned in post #1 reports that she was back with her husband in June 1865.
Can anyone tell us what reports, and what they indicate?

Has anyone checked to verify what Headley said regarding Sarah on page 376 of his book that Dave posted.
(she was from KY and the KY legislature took a 15 minute recess in her honor.)

I also question the reality of the following statement about the photo above, (where did the prisoner get the photo from, and how did Headley end up with it?)
" *The prisoners never met this lady before or after her visits to the jail
at Montreal. One of the survivors secured her photograph at the jail,
but after forty years her name is forgotten."

Having read some of this book, I am under the impression that Headley exaggerated many of the statements in his book. I would like to be wrong, but I have doubts this is a photo of Sarah.

In an affidavit submitted in Sarah's divorce case, Sarah's brother Eugene Gilbert said that Sarah and Rowan had lived as "man and wife" in New York City from June or July 1865 to October 1865.

I find it unlikely that the "Kentucky lady" was Sarah. Going to Kentucky to be acclaimed by the entire legislature seems inconsistent with Sarah's keeping silent about her wartime activities, especially in 1867 when John Surratt's expected trial was looming. Perhaps the Kentucky lady was exactly that--a lady from Kentucky.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Headley, and the picture of Sarah - Susan Higginbotham - 04-11-2016 12:43 AM