Mary in Europe: Pau, France
10-09-2013, 11:10 AM
RE: Mary in Europe: Pau, France
I checked Jean Baker's biography, and here is a summary of the reasons the author gives for Mary choosing Pau:

1. Mary had heard about Pau as a health spa during her first trip to Europe with Tad. In 1870 Sally Orne was looking for a quiet retreat because her daughter was ill, and Mary recommended Pau.

2. Mary spoke French. She felt she needed to understand the language.

3. She considered Pau quiet in comparison to other French cities such as Paris, Nice, and Cannes. She felt those cities were expensive and full of overdressed Americans.

4. She had heard that Vichy, the best known French spa, had a reputation for being dirty.

5. On the basis of language and politics she ruled out other European countries.

6. Within months of arriving in Pau Mary informed her banker that "the French cannot take advantage of me as is frequently done with strangers who don't understand their language. Happily I am not in the latter category."

Here are a few opinions from other authors. Justin and Linda Levitt Turner write that Mary settled in Pau because "of the clear mountain air and the mineral baths and medical facilities at hand." Isabel Ross writes that Pau was "the resort that seemed to suit her best of all." Catherine Clinton writes that, "there is evidence that Pau recommended itself as a place to preserve her delicate health and to stretch her limited income."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary in Europe: Pau, France - Gene C - 10-08-2013, 07:29 PM
RE: Mary in Europe: Pau, France - RJNorton - 10-09-2013 11:10 AM
RE: Mary in Europe: Pau, France - RJNorton - 10-21-2013, 03:17 PM
RE: Mary in Europe: Pau, France - Gene C - 10-22-2013, 07:46 PM
RE: Mary in Europe: Pau, France - Gene C - 01-14-2015, 02:25 PM