Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story
08-08-2012, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2012 10:57 AM by MaddieM.)
RE: Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story
(08-08-2012 10:38 AM)BettyO Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 10:34 AM)MaddieM Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 10:30 AM)BettyO Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 10:24 AM)MaddieM Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 10:18 AM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  I am not using Shelton as a reference but E. H. Gore's book.

Shelton wrote, "The outcome of this undertaking [Mr. Powell reorganizing the Bethel Baptist Church] was described with as much compassion as Mr. W. H. Brack, the clerk, could manage and still tell the truth."

Then Shelton quotes Mr. Brack from the History of Orlando Baptists:

'Brother Powell was a good preacher and a very earnest Christian but addicted to whiskey. He was strict in his discipline and had some of the members turned out for non-attendance. The church became tired of his strict discipline and in October 1872 they called Rev. A. C. Tinnall as pastor.' History of Orlando Baptists: First Baptist Church. E. H. Gore."
If Mr. Powell did drink, I think people would be very understanding considering the tragedy he and his family endured.

It would drive me to drink. His poor mum. You'd never ever get over that would you?

Hello, Maddy!

In the Fall of 1865, a Captain Newt was assigned to go to Florida to ascertain by Stanton if Lewis Payne was actually in fact, Lewis Powell. Newt traveled down to Live Oak and visited the family, claiming that Reverend Powell was an upstanding, quiet man who was composed and very much in control of his feelings, however Lew's mother was extremely upset by the visit and wouldn't even go into the parlor to meet him. He described Lew's mother as being "an extremely attractive woman" [she was 56 years old at the time] and further said that she appeared "inconsolable in her grief and possessed of strong maternal feeling." Lewis' mother supposedly wore mourning for the rest of her life and never got over the shock. Perfectly understandable. Never did see anything else regarding Lewis' father and any drinking. I'll have to check up on that!

They hanged her beautiful son. One can only imagine what that felt like. I'm sure stories are handed down through the generations via word of mouth. I think your book brought him back to life and gave us all a real insight into his humanity.

Thanks ever so much for your kind words, Maddie!

I have a Revised Second Edition of Alias coming out within the next year as well as going into Ebook format - LOTS of new documented information on Lew coming out in that as well.

Yes, the trauma of losing her adored youngest son as well as her other son, Oliver was supposedly very hard for Mrs Powell. A very tragic situation - and then for some cruel, vindictive idiot to send photographs of the tragedy to his parents - I'm sure that was too much to bear!

Who did that? Did they send those photos of the actual hanging?Huh

(08-08-2012 10:38 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Yes, the trauma of losing her adored youngest son as well as her other son, Oliver was supposedly very hard for Mrs Powell. A very tragic situation - and then for some cruel, vindictive idiot to send photographs of the tragedy to his parents - I'm sure that was too much to bear!

I get the feeling he lied about his name etc, to protect his family? Is that right? He was the only one who did that out of the four of them. He seemed to keep tight lipped about lots of things right up until the end. Some might say to protect his fellow conspirators, but most likely to protect his family, I would think. That seems in keeping with his whole personality. Of them all, he seemed the most honourable, despite his 'dishonourable' attack on Seward.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story - MaddieM - 08-08-2012 10:53 AM