President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862
06-01-2017, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2017 01:27 PM by Gene C.)
RE: President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862
This is a deep subject.

Attached is a link to what I think is the article David is referring to.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/31/arts/...ation.html

While it is nice for artist to want to comment on society's failings, especially those of events 60 and 150 years ago, it would be nice to see them role up their sleeves, get their hands dirty by actually working in their community to do something positive and help those who are willing to help themselves, but need some assistance.
They seem to be more interested in pointing fingers at the problem, drawing attention to themselves, than becoming personally involved and working on practical solutions.
The author of the NY Times article seems to overlook this little point.

From the article -
"Central to both cases are issues of cultural appropriation and artistic freedom. Should white artists, no matter how well intentioned, represent harrowing stories that are not their own to tell? Conversely, should any subject matter be off-limits to artists because of their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or other life experiences?"

Rest assured that I have a politically incorrect, tacky comment to add to this, but I really am old enough to know better (this time)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862 - Gene C - 06-01-2017 12:26 PM
Lincoln and the Dakotas - L Verge - 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM