President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862
09-25-2014, 02:57 PM
RE: President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862
(09-25-2014 02:08 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  Right, thanks Roger...but I vaguely remember an interview with the late novelist Gore Vidal where he mentioned a title to the anti-Christian pamphlet allegedly written by AL?

Toia, I found the article you are referring to in the Gore Vidal Pages.

"From "First Note on Abraham Lincoln," by Gore Vidal, The Los Angeles Times, February 8, 1981:

"It will come as a terrible shock to many of those who have been twice-born in the capacious bosom of Jesus to learn that Lincoln not only rejected Christianity but wrote a small book called "Infidelity" (meaning lack of faith in God). [Herndon writes that] Lincoln:

"read his manuscript to Samuel Hill, his employer (who) said to Lincoln: 'Lincoln, let me see your manuscript.' Lincoln handed it to him. Hill ran it in a tin-plate stove, and so the book went up in flames. Lincoln in that production attempted to show that the Bible was false: first on the grounds of reason, and, second, because it was self-contradictory; that Jesus was not the son of God any more than any man."

http://www.gorevidalpages.com/1981/02/ab...vidal.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862 - Linda Anderson - 09-25-2014 02:57 PM
Lincoln and the Dakotas - L Verge - 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM