Lincoln Assassination Class
07-18-2013, 11:19 AM
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class
One big object lesson that I always want anyone from grade 5 on to learn is the concept of "conspiracy" related to current "gang activity" in order to stress "choose your friends wisely because their actions will reflect on you" and the necessity to report criminal intent or actions. This can be done by introducing the term "vicarious liability," which is based on English common law.

Basically, this means that, when one enters into a conspiracy, one is responsible for whatever any member of that conspiracy might do. To bring this home, I appoint a gang of three to rob a bank. One stays outside to drive the getaway car while the other two go into the bank. In the process of robbing the bank, a teller is shot and killed.

Is the thief who did NOT pull the trigger guilty? (yes) Is the one who waited in the car guilty? (yes)
What if the driver chickens out and drives away? (still yes). What if the driver chickens out and alerts the cop on the corner? (no) He attempted to alert the authorities and stop the crime. That's the secret to saving one's own hide. Then relate it to the Lincoln assassination.

I'm sure that Joe Beckert and any lawyers on this forum can correct/add/or chastise me if I have screwed this up - but it works with kids.

My main point is related to Joe's. Relate what happened in 1861-65 to what the kids are familiar with today. I have had some meaningful discussions on the issue of slavery with classes of African American students by using such a technique. I will share that with you privately if you wish, but not on this forum where some might not act as positively as the children do in their discussions. I find that children are not as set in their thinking as some adults.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class - Gene C - 07-18-2013, 10:38 AM
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class - L Verge - 07-18-2013 11:19 AM
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class - SSlater - 07-18-2013, 02:15 PM
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class - L Verge - 07-18-2013, 03:02 PM
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class - L Verge - 07-19-2013, 04:21 PM