Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
08-15-2024, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2024 10:26 PM by J. Beckert.)
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
You nailed it, Rob. Good job!

RTL gave the hat to his good friend (his name escapes me) that owned the Dorset Inn in Dorset, Vt., just a few miles up the road in the next town north of Manchester, Vt. It remained in his family until it was returned after the refurbishing of Hildene which was said to be in terrible condition after the death of the last Lincoln family occupant, Peggy Beckwith, who passed in 1975.

At a tour of Hildene years ago, a docent told me (and I've never heard this anywhere else) that Lincoln owned 7 stovepipe hats at the time of his death. Supposedly 3 remain (the Taper hat is dubious....). This one, the Taper (Forbes) hat and the one in the Smithsonian that Lincoln wore to Ford's Theater. This one is in the best condition. Aside from a dent and slight wear, the Hildene hat is almost pristine. I was also told that they believe this is the hat Lincoln wore to Gettysburg, but again that's from a docent there.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - J. Beckert - 08-15-2024 10:24 PM