What is your best one-word description of President Abraham Lincoln's character?
10-08-2023, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2023 02:39 PM by Steve.)
RE: What is your best one-word description of President Abraham Lincoln's character?
(10-06-2023 10:19 AM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  I had to consult dictionary.com on the word "cromulent." It means: "acceptable or legitimate."

David, the word cromulent was first coined in a 1996 episode of a television show called The Simpsons which first aired when I was a kid. The Simpsons is an animated comedy show airing on the American Fox television network from 1989 to the present. It had previously run as animated shorts on a sketch comedy show on the same network for a couple of years prior. Comparable animated comedy shows might be The Flintstones or the first season of The Jetsons.

Cromulent was created by the writers as a joke, occurring twice in the episode and, while never defined, is seemingly given contradictory context-derived meanings the two different times it is used in the episode. As far as I am aware the joke is a one-off, not reappearing in an episode the following 27 years.

In the first instance of cromulent in the episode two school teachers are talking to each other during a school assembly and one remarks to the other that she hasn't heard of a particular word before moving to the town, with the other teacher replying that "I don't why, it's a perfectly cromulent word." Cromulent seemingly would mean fine or acceptable based on this quote. But in a call back much later in the episode, the town's mayor praises a character's "cromulent performance" With cromulent seemingly meaning great or wonderful this time. Of course since "cromulent" was made up by the writers of the episode it needn't have a comprehensible definition.

It was The Simpsons and this joke of cromulent meaning whatever the context surrounding it makes it mean - which made me think "cromulent" all by itself would be a perfectly good joke reply to this thread.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is your best one-word description of President Abraham Lincoln's character? - Steve - 10-08-2023 02:38 PM