I could freely give my life to save his. Virginia C.
07-02-2023, 05:39 PM
RE: I could freely give my life to save his. Virginia C.
(07-02-2023 02:52 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  David, you could try contacting the Historical Society of Washington, D.C.

https://dchistory.org/contact/

Thank you, Roger. I sent the following email to library@dchistory.org as a Request for Research:

On January 29, 1864, four Union soldiers were scheduled for execution with the specific approval of President Lincoln. One of those to be executed was identified as a soldier from the 27th Regiment, - Volunteers with the initials J. W. C.

Within a week of the scheduled execution, however, President Lincoln sent a telegraphic order blocking the executions until a further order from him. President Lincoln granted the permanent stay of execution on the basis of reading a letter from this man’s daughter who pleaded for his life and offered her own life [in exchange] if only his life were spared. In the letter, she noted that her mother would soon die if he were to be executed and his five children with three sisters, all under eight years old, would be fatherless.

The Washington Chronicle story notice of the impending executions was published in early 1864.

Can you identify the full name of the man with the initials J. W. C.? And, is there any additional information available as to what happened to this man after the stay of execution was provided by President Lincoln?

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I could freely give my life to save his. Virginia C. - David Lockmiller - 07-02-2023 05:39 PM