I have a conundrum
07-01-2023, 09:33 PM
I have a conundrum
Hello all,

I am having a tough time. I want some advice.

I have well over 1,700 books. As you might expect, most of my books are specifically about Lincoln and the Civil War. I also have a good mix of other presidential biographies, especially since I pledged to buy at least one biography for every president who served. So far, I haven't filled that yet. Some haven't had a new biography written in decades! Plus, some presidents are of such interest to me (TR, Wilson, Jefferson, to name three) that I have several.

The one thing I don't have plenty of is space. We have yet to get the bookcases we bought a couple of years ago up and holding books (other than the Lincoln books in my office). We couldn't do it on vacation because of my back (which I will likely have to have surgery...yea), and I'm not sure how long it will take for that to finally happen. I know that I will have to get rid of some as they all won't fit, plus I have books I bought years ago and still haven't read. While you might think, "If you haven't read it in that time, you likely never will," and you would likely be right. Yet I love the look of a full library of books I could read if I chose to. And, as Desiderius Erasmus wrote, "When I get a little money I buy books, and if any is left I buy food and clothes."

I guess I'm asking for your opinion on 1)any suggestions on a painless way to cull; 2)any experiences you might have had that are similar to mine; and 3)any other opinions you might want to share. I have decided to get rid of some books if I have the audio version. I recently joined audible.com, and I would listen to many of the books I wouldn't read in hand. Of course, that means buying another version, but if one watches for specials, etc., it isn't too bad. Plus, see the quote from Erasmus above. Also, I will likely download some older versions of available presidential biographies, but I can't see getting rid of the ones I own.

I bought many books because I didn't have good access to a library at the time. Now, I have daily access to an exceptional library, so it isn't like I can't find any of the books I own. Yet, there is just something about seeing the books in my house and knowing they're mine. Of course, when the time comes that I join the choir invisible, it will likely leave Cheryl with a hellacious headache of what to do with them.

Thanks!

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
I have a conundrum - Rob Wick - 07-01-2023 09:33 PM
RE: I have a conundrum - Gene C - 07-02-2023, 07:23 AM
RE: I have a conundrum - RJNorton - 07-02-2023, 09:52 AM
RE: I have a conundrum - Juan Marrero - 07-02-2023, 11:28 AM
RE: I have a conundrum - Rob Wick - 07-02-2023, 11:32 AM
RE: I have a conundrum - STS Lincolnite - 07-03-2023, 01:16 PM
RE: I have a conundrum - Rob Wick - 07-03-2023, 04:13 PM
RE: I have a conundrum - wpbinzel - 07-04-2023, 11:20 AM