Where exactly did Lincoln stand at Gettysburg?
01-04-2023, 01:40 PM
RE: Where exactly did Lincoln stand at Gettysburg?
My initial thoughts were similar to what has been posted. I personally do feel it’s important. I feel like if I can stand where an historical figure stood, I have a more tangible connection to the past. Just like when I go to a museum and see an artifact. It was there then, and it is here now. Again, that tangible connection. For me, it makes history more “alive.” These of course are general observations maybe relevant only to me. (By the way, as Gene mentioned in a previous post in this thread, there are wonderful opportunities to "walk in Lincoln's footsteps" if you join us for our next Springfield visit... Smile )

A couple of additional things about this specific site/location in Gettysburg.

I had a conversation with a friend, and she brought up an idea about the importance of the location of this particular site. We always think about the importance from our perspective – individually and looking back 150+ years. But in this case, what if we consider it from Lincoln’s perspective. What did he see when he looked out from that specific spot? How did what he saw affect his speech or how did it affect him emotionally? Would speaking from an alternate location have otherwise affected what he said or how he felt? Considering these, I think there is more inherent importance to the site – and even a more exact location. Some people in the NYT comments said that the place isn’t important, it’s the words that are important. The words are certainly important – but that shouldn’t have to mean the location of the platform isn’t. Why should it be just one or the other? The place and how it impacted the words seems important too. Had Lincoln just written dedicatory remarks while in Washington and sent them to be read instead of attending and personally delivering the remarks, I don’t think the “Gettysburg Address” would be the same speech we know today.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where exactly did Lincoln stand at Gettysburg? - STS Lincolnite - 01-04-2023 01:40 PM