A new Lincoln book, The Broken Constitution
11-22-2021, 10:14 AM
RE: A new Lincoln book, The Broken Constitution
Ah David, you're right. I'm not the least bit sorry for my opinion. I am, however, sorry that you don't seem to understand simple fact. What Sean Wilentz wrote, and the Times published, was a book review. What the Times' editors printed yesterday was not a review, but rather an opinion of the newspaper as to what it believes to be the best nine books for its readers. It is not a review.

As to your belief that a review is supposed to be this sacrosanct "unbiased" article, I can only shake my head. A review is an opinion by a writer who has a background on a topic. In developing that background one usually has developed bias and points of view. That's what makes a review worthwhile. Bias is saying that only people who wear blue shoes are qualified to write reviews. Kind of like saying that only people who praise Lincoln are qualified to write about him.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A new Lincoln book, The Broken Constitution - Rob Wick - 11-22-2021 10:14 AM