Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
10-31-2021, 07:27 PM
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
Hello, Eva. Thank you for the welcome. I enjoyed reading your comments on the information that I provided on the proposal to construct a replica of the 1844 cottage that the Lincolns lived in for about 2 or 3 years before it was first enlarged in about 1846-1847.
To learn a bit about the character of the Lincoln Home neighborhood, you could read the Lincoln Home Cultural Landscape Report that is online here:
http://npshistory.com/publications/liho/clr.pdf
On page 2-11 it describes the typical lot size as being 80 feet wide and a depth of 157 feet, so that would be about 12,560 square feet. The report gives some fascinating information on the physical characteristics of Springfield at various times, but it does take some time to read. Toward the back of the report, there are some interesting photographs and panoramas that give a sense of the spatial arrangement of the neighborhood around the Lincoln Home.
My opinion is that it is unnecessary to spend $400,000 to build a replica of the cottage. (There are many more worthy projects that the ALA could spend this money on.) As I noted, the downstairs of today’s Lincoln Home shows very closely what the cottage was like, except for the early addition of the added bedroom that eventually became the rear parlor. Remember the Lincolns lived in this cottage for only a few years before the bedroom and the pantry were added.
Actually, a fairly accurate replica of the 1844 cottage could be constructed, but the question remains--why. I do not see any purpose in comparing the cottage to the later, post 1856 home. The raising of the second level to two full stories does not say anything about Mr. Lincoln’s financial situation. He didn’t want this change made, so Mary had it done with money that came from her wealthy father. The best that can be said of Lincoln’s financial situation is that he married into money.
As you say, “the tax payer should by no means finance such,” but if these two houses were added to the National Historic Site, the American taxpayers would be obligated to pay for the operation and maintenance of these questionable additions in perpetuity. The National Park Service is already underfunded and has a significant backlog of projects. These additions should not be added to that burden.
Your high regard for the Lincoln Home is admirable and I appreciate your interest in the details of what is being proposed. Thank you for commenting.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed - Norm Hellmers - 10-31-2021 07:27 PM