Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
10-22-2021, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2021 03:03 PM by Anita.)
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
(10-22-2021 07:51 AM)Gene C Wrote:  "There's no place like home"

This seems to be true regarding the Lincoln Cottage Reconstruction project.
According to the author of this website, who has some impressive credentials, there appears to be some misrepresentations being made regarding this project
I found this item on Abraham Lincoln online.org

https://www.hellonorm.com/cottage/index.html

Your thoughts?

Gene I agree that Norman Hellmer's article is well documented and credible. It raises important issues about the accuracy of the construction plan for the Lincoln Cottage. Is it historically accurate?

Hellmer writes" • The ALA’s claim that they can construct “a replica of the home of Abraham Lincoln . . . as it existed from 1844-1856,” is impossible.
• Already in about 1846, the Lincolns added a bedroom and a pantry downstairs making it an eight-room house, which the ALA ignores.
• The Lincoln family lived in the enlarged, eight-room house for about ten years. They did not live in the original six-room cottage for twelve years, as the ALA claims."
This and other concerns Hellmer raises should be addressed by the ALA. I haven't found any replies.

Hellmer's site gives this link to the LOC to see the drawings of the Lincoln home from 1939 to 1986 showing the various additions. https://www.loc.gov/item/il0549/
Concern: I can't find information on what these drawings used as a source. Did they have the original blue prints? Also I can find no mention of the 1846 addition in any letters by Mary, family, or neighbors. I haven't had much time to do a good search.

(10-22-2021 08:56 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  The mention of an 1846 addition was new to me. I looked in Dr. Wayne C. Temple's book entitled By Square and Compass, and I cannot find mention of it. Maybe I am just missing it. If anyone on the forum has that book and can locate information on this 1846 addition in Dr. Temple's book please post the page number(s).

Many thanks!
Roger, I can't find my copy of Temple's book but as I replied to Gene I can't find a source for the addition other than the NPS and the LOC drawings. Those are very credible sources but as I posted to Gene, I'd like to find where it's mentioned by Mary, her family, neighbors or other firsthand references.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed - Anita - 10-22-2021 02:57 PM