"Lincoln And The Bluegrass- Slavery and Civil War in Kentucky"
08-26-2020, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 08:39 PM by Gene C.)
RE: "Lincoln And The Bluegrass- Slavery and Civil War in Kentucky"
I finally got around to reading this, after buying it two years ago, and it was much better than I thought it would be. There are a few slow sections, but overall it is a good book with some interesting information.

Anita gave an excellent review. Some of the parts I enjoyed in this book.....
There is almost a whole chapter about Denton Offutt, who gave Lincoln a job which caused him to settle in New Salem. Offutt was only a few years older than Lincoln. An interesting character, Offutt was fairly well known as an excellent judge and trainer of horses. He grew up on a horse farm in KY and had a special gift. He truly was a horse whisperer. He wrote a book that has been mentioned on this web site, The Educated Horse.

Interesting information on Mary Lincoln's family the Todd's, and the grief they caused Lincoln since most of her brothers and sisters had a strong confederate connection.

Lots of information that was new to me, helped me to get a better understanding of the times Lincoln lived. About 350 pages of text, with good source notes. It didn't seem overly detailed, had decent sized print with topics well organized.

Here is something I found interesting, it's about three pages. It is an incident where a hostile Kentucky newspaper editor asks Lincoln for a favor.
It starts at the top of page 310. You will need to enlarge the print (the little magnifying glass in the lower right corner)
https://archive.org/details/lincolnblueg...0/mode/2up

Available on Amazon. You can find a nice copy for around $20. That's about what I paid for mine, and well worth it.
https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-and-the-B...oks&sr=1-7

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread