1865 Southern Maryland road and town map.
02-09-2020, 03:26 PM
RE: 1865 Southern Maryland road and town map.
Thanks, Mike. I agree with your information on the PE Church. I found it on the 1865 Martenet map. I was looking for something labeled Piney Church not realizing the full name of the church. On a prior post on this website several years ago, Laurie posted some information about Parson Wilmer (Rev. Dr. Lemuel Wilmer, 1795-1869) and St. Paul's Piney Church. Belated thanks go to Laurie. The original church building still stands and it is pictured on their website.

Interestingly, it was Herold who first inquired of Dr. Mudd about the way to Parson Wilmer's place. This suggests that Herold knew of Parson Wilmer or perhaps knew him and had attended his church when in southern MD. Herold was apparently an Episcopalian as he was ministered to on the gallows by Rev. Dr. Marcus Olds, an Episcopal priest. The ever helpful Dr. Mudd told Herold of the two ways to get to Piney Church; "by the public road leading by Beantown" (Col. Wells written statement after interviewing Dr. Mudd) and across the swamp. If Herold actually wanted to go to Parson Wilmer's, it was probably to obtain assistance in continuing west to the Potomac River. This could also be a complete ploy by Herold to throw off any pursuers who would talk to Dr. Mudd, as they shortly did.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1865 Southern Maryland road and town map. - Dennis Urban - 02-09-2020 03:26 PM