Lincoln's First Political Speech
01-24-2020, 10:15 AM
RE: Lincoln's First Political Speech
Thank you, David. What has made me wonder is all the differing accounts I've seen. Here's another account from Following in Lincoln’s Footsteps By Ralph Gary:

"In the summer of 1830, he was working at the farm of either Mr. Shepard, west of Church Street and north of Main, or for William Hanks Jr., near Main and Union. He heard a commotion in the public square, came to investigate, and heard the last part of a political speech denouncing a candidate for the Whig Party. The young farmhand is said to have hopped up on the stump in front of Harrell’s Tavern to speak in defense of the Whig. The splinters hurt his bare feet as he shifted around, but the crowd cheered wildly, and he learned he could speak. A bronze statue stands on the northeast corner and is entitled, “Lincoln’s First Political Speech.” It depicts Lincoln as barefoot with one foot on the stump."

Now how does Ralph Gary know that "The splinters hurt his bare feet as he shifted around?" I don't know, and it's (embellished?) accounts such as Gary's that have made be wonder...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's First Political Speech - RJNorton - 01-24-2020 10:15 AM