New Development in Booth Case Coming Soon
07-22-2019, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2019 10:01 AM by Steve Whitlock.)
RE: New Development in Booth Case Coming Soon
(07-19-2019 07:01 PM)Steve Wrote:  I haven't found a copy of Black's Dearborn Independent article online, though it is mentioned elsewhere and apparently Black interviewed William J. Ryan who embalmed George and Ryan said George had blue or blue-gray eyes. Which is definitely a different eye color than that of the assassin John Wilkes Booth.

https://archive.org/details/inshadowofli...se/page/82

The link you provided mentioned in passing David E. George of French Camp, MS. After a 'what's this?' from me I found in my notes something I hadn't read for sources of the Wikipedia article for Finis L. Bates.

"Finis L. Bates
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

References:
12. According to James Hall, in 1902 David E. George filled out an insurance application, giving his personal information thereon as follows: David Elihu George. born on June 14, 1844 in French Camp, Choctaw County, Mississippi."

In the 1850 census of Choctaw Co., MS there is a William George family; however, he has a daughter born 1842 in GA and a son, John George b: abt 1847 in MS, but no David George.

In the 1840 census of Choctaw Co., MS we have:

Eliza George

in the 1840 United States Federal Census

Name: Eliza George
Home in 1840 (City, County, State): Choctaw, Mississippi
Free White Persons - Males - Under 5: 1
Free White Persons - Males - 15 thru 19: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 20 thru 29: 1
Persons Employed in Agriculture: 1
Schools - Primary and Common Schools: 1
Schools - No. of Scholars (Pri/Comm): 20
No. White Persons over 20 Who Cannot Read and Write: 1
Free White Persons - Under 20: 2
Free White Persons - 20 thru 49: 1
Total Free White Persons: 3
Total All Persons - Free White, Free Colored, Slaves: 3
I don't know what became of the young Eliza George family, but they could be the family of David E. George, and there is a son 0-4 years old.

(07-22-2019 09:46 AM)Steve Whitlock Wrote:  
(07-19-2019 07:01 PM)Steve Wrote:  I haven't found a copy of Black's Dearborn Independent article online, though it is mentioned elsewhere and apparently Black interviewed William J. Ryan who embalmed George and Ryan said George had blue or blue-gray eyes. Which is definitely a different eye color than that of the assassin John Wilkes Booth.

https://archive.org/details/inshadowofli...se/page/82

The link you provided mentioned in passing David E. George of French Camp, MS. After a 'what's this?' from me I found in my notes something I hadn't read for sources of the Wikipedia article for Finis L. Bates.

"Finis L. Bates
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

References:
12. According to James Hall, in 1902 David E. George filled out an insurance application, giving his personal information thereon as follows: David Elihu George. born on June 14, 1844 in French Camp, Choctaw County, Mississippi."

In the 1850 census of Choctaw Co., MS there is a William George family; however, he has a daughter born 1842 in GA and a son, John George b: abt 1847 in MS, but no David George.

In the 1840 census of Choctaw Co., MS we have:

Eliza George

in the 1840 United States Federal Census

Name: Eliza George
Home in 1840 (City, County, State): Choctaw, Mississippi
Free White Persons - Males - Under 5: 1
Free White Persons - Males - 15 thru 19: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 20 thru 29: 1
Persons Employed in Agriculture: 1
Schools - Primary and Common Schools: 1
Schools - No. of Scholars (Pri/Comm): 20
No. White Persons over 20 Who Cannot Read and Write: 1
Free White Persons - Under 20: 2
Free White Persons - 20 thru 49: 1
Total Free White Persons: 3
Total All Persons - Free White, Free Colored, Slaves: 3
I don't know what became of the young Eliza George family, but they could be the family of David E. George, and there is a son 0-4 years old.

I went back for a look at the 1840 census image and I think that may be Eliga or Elija George, rather than Eliza George.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Development in Booth Case Coming Soon - Steve Whitlock - 07-22-2019 09:46 AM