New Development in Booth Case Coming Soon
07-18-2019, 03:56 PM
RE: New Development in Booth Case Coming Soon
(07-12-2019 07:45 PM)Steve Wrote:  According to Bates' book, David E. George, previously went by the alias George D. Ryan in other towns of Oklahoma Territory:

https://archive.org/details/escapesuicid...e/page/228

I checked and couldn't find any mention of the name George Ryan or its variants. Also you can tell from the articles I posted on the other thread, David E. George, painter "of Dallas" appears in several Oklahoma newspapers, including in some of the same towns where the Ryan alias was supposedly used.

In fact the earliest confirmed record I could find mentioning David E. George is from page 8 of the April 14, 1897 edition of the Evening Messenger of Marshall, Texas:

This confirms, at least, that he did indeed come to Oklahoma from Texas. But I can't find any record or city directory listing of him in Dallas. Unfortunately, he seems to have been missed in the 1900 census. There was that insurance policy paper found on him when he died, but that seems to have been bogus, so I'm not sure if we can take the information the policy or the repudiated will says about his origins and family at face value or not.

I was thinking maybe the Ford investigation of Bates and his claims about Mr. George picked up some clues that might have seemed insignificant or impossible to follow up at the time that might be easier to follow-up now with all the historical records and databases online now

FM Steve,

"Paralyzed, he was dragged from the flames. As he lay dying, he repeatedly whispered, "Tell my mother I die for my country." And finally, with his limp and nearly lifeless hands raised to his face: "Useless. Useless."

Going on faith among the final words of John Wilkes Booth were "Tell my mother I die for my country." Given his paralysis and damaged vertebrae one wonders how he raised his hands to his face, and was able to speak coherently, but, as I said, 'going on faith' one would suppose he said those words, and meant that his final wish be carried out, which supposes that those he spoke to knew who he was, and who his mother was; otherwise he might have to tell someone who his mother was, and where she could be reached.

I just thought I'd mention that because nobody ever does, to my knowledge, with all the countless opinions and speculations about JWB.

But back to David E. George. Note in the attachments for David E. George the rather large feet and hands. I had thought there must be a mistake and they just put an old oversized shoe on him, but the mummy shows that David had some big feet and hands, unlike John Wilkes Booth, more in accordance with mine; however , I'm 6' 1 1/2" and John Wilkes Booth was 5' 8 1/2" tall. I believe Finis L. Bates claimed the JWB height to be the same for David E. George, but I haven't found any record of anyone measuring his height. Surprisingly, those doctors who examined David E. George seemed to have skipped that basic step.

The attached photos for JWB show his feet in accordance with his height and his hands seem small in comparison to the actor in uniform. Definitely, David E. George, never mind disputes as to any facial resemblance, his feet and hands alone say he was NOT John Wilkes Booth.

But who was he, really? George E. Smith, said to be a half-brother or friend to David E. George, and the one supposedly sending remittance money to sustain Mr. George, exchanged a couple of letters with Finis L. Bates in 1921, the letters being in Box 2.1 of the Finis L. Bates Collection.

"Corresp. (2/26/1921) from George E. Smith to Finis L. Bates asking whether the remains are on exhibit. Corresp. (3/23/1921) from George E. Smith to Finis L. Bates regarding his acquaintance with George in El Reno."

It would be helpful to us if we could find those letters, and get the address of George E. Smith, hopefully then to find him in a census and determine whether he is actually a half-brother of Mr Smith, or whether he can lead us to David E. George in 1850-1860 census, which should precede David E. George's "killed a man in TX" scenario, and therefore, give us his real name.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread