Museums as polling places
11-04-2018, 05:11 AM
RE: Museums as polling places
Eva, compulsory voting is ... worse than appalling. I sometimes feel like Winston Smith in 1984. But there are a few, just a few, other Australians that feel as I do. Most though have been brainwashed ( I'm not kidding) into the belief that compulsory voting is a great Aussie tradition which has "done us proud" (?!?).

It actually scares me that all (yes, all) the media and , would you believe, many many academics and university philosophers accept and believe that compulsory voting is wonderful. Actually its more devious than that. They detail all the pros and cons ... and then somehow decide that, on balance, compulsory voting is the best.

Arguing my case is sometimes like wading in treacle. Ive even heard people say " but if we didnt have compulsory voting, nobody would vote." Or, "Voting is your duty ... its a community essential ... like paying taxes and jury duty ... thats why its compulsory". It is a way "to ensure that everybody takes part in elections". ( Joe Stalin would be proud of that one!). Yes, Ive heard "Arent we great? We get around 95% voter turnout!!!" I've heard "Ohhh its not really compulsory to vote ... if you're that annoyed then just invalidate the ballot" ... this from politicians, as if breaking the law is not really a big deal as long as nobody knows you've done it.

Anyway to answer your very good question ... if you do not like any of the candidates on offer? You can run as a candidate yourself ... thats the response I've sometimes had from politicians when I ask that! Seriously, the only real option is to break the law and invalidate your ballot. Of course , your ballot will be classified as an "Informal" along with the 4% or so that are too confused as to how to vote correctly. In other words, nobody will take any notice of your dislike / disapproval of all the candidates.

The benefit for political parties is they do not have to persuade supporters to vote , that is to 'get out the vote'. They know exactly where the marginal booths are and can focus on them.

I love Australia ... but hate the voting system and will never stop fighting for change.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Museums as polling places - Steve - 11-03-2018, 03:31 AM
RE: Museums as polling places - L Verge - 11-03-2018, 02:08 PM
RE: Museums as polling places - AussieMick - 11-03-2018, 06:34 PM
RE: Museums as polling places - L Verge - 11-03-2018, 07:43 PM
RE: Museums as polling places - AussieMick - 11-03-2018, 10:02 PM
RE: Museums as polling places - Steve - 11-03-2018, 11:41 PM
RE: Museums as polling places - AussieMick - 11-04-2018 05:11 AM
RE: Museums as polling places - AussieMick - 11-04-2018, 05:59 AM
RE: Museums as polling places - AussieMick - 11-04-2018, 06:58 AM