Similarities Between Lincoln and Trump
08-28-2018, 06:36 PM
RE: Similarities Between Lincoln and Trump
(08-28-2018 02:53 PM)My Name Is Kate Wrote:  On a side note, liberals were the most vocal group against the Vietnam war while it was happening. Now, anyone (Trump in particular) who did not serve in that war is labeled a coward and a traitor by liberals.

I was drafted into the Army near the end of the Viet Nam War. There were many Americans my age at that time who fled to Canada as a matter of conscience in accordance with their beliefs. I have never labeled such people as either a coward or a traitor. And, I never will do so.

Mohammed Ali is another conscientious objector hero of mine. He once said: "He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life." He went to jail because of his beliefs. He was a champion in more than one respect.

There is no doubt that I consider myself a liberal. I worked desperately to gain the Democratic Party presidential nomination for Bernie Sanders. According to all of the polls at the time, he would have easily defeated Donald Trump.

Just three days ago the Democratic Party agreed to overhaul the Democratic superdelegate system that defeated Bernie Sanders for the nomination. Liberals like me were against the system at the time and voiced our objections. I did so many times in the comment sections of New York Times articles supporting Hillary Clinton's nomination. "Supporters of Mr. Sanders said these insiders — mostly elected officials, party leaders and donors — were emblematic of a “rigged” nomination system favoring Mrs. Clinton."

Nancy Pelosi made no discernible effort to level the playing field in that election. There's another strike against her.

I am really unconvinced that the Democratic Party bosses have done enough to level the playing field for a true democratic nomination process for President in the future.

According to the New York Times story (previously quoted from above), Democrats Overhaul Controversial Superdelegate System:

"Under the new plan, which was agreed to on Saturday afternoon in Chicago at the Democratic National Committee’s annual summer meetings, superdelegates retain their power to back any candidate regardless of how the public votes. They will now be largely barred, however, from participating in the first ballot of the presidential nominating process at the party’s convention — drastically diluting their power."

During the first ballot, many states vote unanimously for a favorite son or daughter. So, there is very little possibility that any candidate will be a majority winner on the first ballot.

Then, "mostly elected officials, party leaders and donors" superdelegates get to vote equally with the delegates who got to the convention by direct citizen votes. Democrat and Republican Party elites give up their power very reluctantly, if at all.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Similarities Between Lincoln and Trump - David Lockmiller - 08-28-2018 06:36 PM